Wednesday 9 July 2014

Stone

This week's blog comes from Helen Shay, writer of 'Stone'.  

DAY ONE

This blog finds me typing cross-fingered. In fact, all possible digits and limbs are crossed due to recent ups and downs in the journey of my short play, ‘Stone’ as part of the Envelope Project.

It’s a two-hander, simple to stage, with talented cast and very capable director. Yet this time last week, we got the heads-up that our male actor might have to suddenly go on a trip away. A tense 24-hours led to this being confirmed and a proverbial dark night of the artistic soul loomed.

Enter hero stage left. Matt Simpson, fresh from doing ‘Three Easy Pieces’, has galloped to our rescue. We now have a Pete to play opposite Angie Shaw’s Wendy. They meet with director Marian Mantovani for intense rehearsals, with performance dates now looming. A large introductory monologue by Matt’s character has been cut to ease pressure – and I actually think the play is better as revised.

Angie will be making her stage debut (she’s done related work, including radio) and has been giving it her all, so I’m so glad it’s still able to go ahead for her sake as well as the rest of us. Marian has really seen her blossom as an actress.

For me as a writer, the process has been a learning curve too. Yes, you can ‘kill your darlings’ and maybe they were a bit too noisy anyway!

What’s more, we think we have sourced a Willy Wonka hat – potentially an essential prop. Wait for the performance and all will be revealed....


DAY TWO

I write my blog today, still with all digits and limbs crossed, now that we are so near the deadline for performance in just over a week’s time.

I am learning as a writer that maybe actually writing the play can end up being the easy bit, and that you stay on as a midwife on the project, hoping what is created will be healthy and soon up on its feet.

As I write, my wonderful director, Marian Mantovani, and new-found acting talent, Angie Shaw, are in intense rehearsals all day with Matt Simpson, our valiant newly-acquired ‘Pete’ (stepping in eleventh hour after Keith Lawrence had to drop out) to play opposite Angie’s ‘Wendy’ in 'Stone'.

Matt is an experienced actor and Angie is learning rapidly from him.

One theme of my play is art versus so-called reality, with characters having to choose (sometimes literally) between their true selves and the stone image they have created for themselves. Having worked with Marian in the past on a one-act play I wrote about plastic surgery, I know she will squeeze every nuance she can out of the script, and if anyone can bring it to life, she can.

In odd moments, I find myself thinking, ‘Is this how it was for Pygmalion?’


DAY THREE

Today I’m feeling more relaxed following Marian’s positive report of the intense rehearsal session yesterday. Matt is clearly grasping the nettle, with Angie a little in awe of how quickly he’s got into the part, and Marian says the play is looking good. The actors are now wanting to practise use of props. However, as these are few and far between – a pack of cards, a bottle of perfume and a ‘Wonky’ bar being the main ones – I doubt that they are going to need a lot to sort out just who drops/sprays and eats what when and where!

After the rocky road we’ve had, part of me is still asking, ‘Is this really going to happen?’ I hope so. We’ve all put a lot into this. When spending time revising my script, I began to feel very attached to the characters. I know I have a very talented director and actors to do them justice.


Tickets for The Envelope Project are on sale and can be purchased by calling 01904 613000 or visiting www.ridinglights.org/envelope

No comments:

Post a Comment